General Questions


1. For all types of scholarship


Q.  When does the application for the MEXT scholarship start?


A.  Application for the MEXT scholarship programs are announced on the embassy’s website every April. The deadline for application will be in May. All the details and information regarding the scholarship is available on the embassy’s website.



Q.  I will be outside of Egypt during the time of screening process. Can I take the examinations online or by Skype?


A.  No. You must be present in Egypt at the time of the examinations, as we do not conduct any examinations online remotely.



Q.  Are there any procedures I should take while I am waiting for the announcement?


A.  You can prepare the necessary documents by referring to the announcements from previous years. However, the application forms and documents are revised each year and are subject to change.


2. For Research Students


Q.  When should I obtain the acceptance letter from universities in Japan?


A.  The acceptance letter is not required at the time of submitting application. It will be necessary after you pass the document screening, written exam, and the interview which will be conducted by the Embassy. For those who pass the interview, we will hold an orientation to explain how to obtain the acceptance letter from the universities in Japan, which will need to be submitted to the Embassy in August.



Q.  I want to study in Japan to complete my Master's /Doctor's course. The Japanese professors I’m in touch with recommended me to contact the Embassy. What should I do?


A. The MEXT scholarship for Research Students is announced every April. The application form and all the details and information are available on the embassy’s website.

Also you can find all information regarding the MEXT scholarship on the website "Study in JAPAN Comprehensive Guide"



Q. What major do the MEXT scholarships accept?


A. All majors are accepted, provided it is your field of study in the previous university or any related field you have studied.



Q. Is it possible to study my major in English?


A. Yes. However, you are requested to confirm this yourself through contacting or checking the website of the university you wish to enroll in.



Q. Do I have to study Japanese language before going to Japan?


A. Not necessarily. It’s not mandatory to study Japanese before going to Japan. However, having some knowledge of the Japanese language will be of great help when you start living in Japan. In addition, Research Students may be required to take Japanese language courses for 6 months within the 2 years scholarship period when deemed necessary.


Qualifications and Conditions


For all types of scholarships


Q.  Can non-Egyptian nationalities apply for the MEXT Scholarships?


A.  No. The MEXT scholarships announced by the Embassy of Japan in Egypt are for Egyptian nationals only.

      For other nationalities, kindly inquire to the Embassy of Japan stationed in the country of your nationality.




1. Application form for all types of scholarships


Q.  I have attended to three elementary schools. Do I have to write them all?    


A. Yes.


2. Application form for Research Students


Q.  Regarding the form “Placement Preference Form", I haven’t decided yet which university to choose. Can I keep it as blank, or do I have to fill in at the time of application?


A.  You must write 3 university names and 3 professor names who you wish to study with. You do not need to have obtained acceptance from those universities/ professors at the time of application. In case you pass the document screening, written examination and the interview, you will be requested to contact those professors to get the acceptance letter.   


3. Field of study and study program form for Research Students


Q. Are there any rules regarding of number of pages for the research plan?


A. There is no limit as to the number of pages. However, it is recommended that you summarize it into a few pages.


4. Academic transcript and graduation certificate from university for Research Students

Q.  I have finished my Master's course, however, my university can only issue the degree certificate of the Master's not the grade transcript.

A.  Please submit the grade transcript of your Pre-Master's course.  

5. Academic transcript and graduation certificate from university for all types of scholarship

Q.  I was a student in a French school and all my certificates are written in French. Can I submit this as it is?

A. No. Documents must be in English. You are requested to ask your school to issue it in English, or you may have it translated at a certified translation office.

6. Academic transcript and graduation certificate from university for Undergraduate Students / College of Technology Students

Q.  I have not finished my 3rd year of my secondary school. Therefore, I cannot submit the academic transcript of the 3rd year and graduation certificate from secondary school .What should I do?

A.  You should submit the certificate of expected graduation and the academic transcript from secondary school for the 1st year and the 2nd year.


Q. Graduation certificate and academic transcript are written on the same paper. Can I submit this as it is?

A. Yes. 

7. Health certificate for all types of scholarship


Q. Regarding the health certificate, should I take the medical check-up at a private hospital or any specific hospital?


A. You may get a medical check-up from any hospital. It can be a national or private hospital. However, make sure that it is written and signed by a doctor or the hospital. 



Q.  Do I have to attach the x-ray film, or the result of CBC document?


A.  No.



Q. There is a blank to fill in the x-ray number, however, I don’t know which number to fill in.


A.  Please write "None".



Q. Can I use last year's “Certificate of Health “form in order to get the document ready early?

A. No. You must use this year’s document format.


8. Recommendation letters for all types of scholarship


Q.  I am currently employed. Do I have to get a recommendation letter from the president/dean or the adviser from university too?


A.  Yes. You must submit 2 recommendation letters. One from the president/dean or the adviser from university, and one from your present employer.


Q. Do you accept the recommendation letter written by hand in case if it’s difficult for the professor to type it out?


A. Yes.



Q. Can I use last year’s recommendation letter?


A. No. You must submit recommendation letters for this year’s application, and recommendation letters from previous years are not accepted.



Q. I am in contact with a Japanese professor from the university which I’m intending to enroll with MEXT scholarship. Can I ask them to write the recommendation letter?


A. No. You should submit the recommendation letter from your supervisor of your last attended university, and if you are employed, you must submit the recommendation letter from your present employer as well.  



Q. My supervisor of the last attended university is currently living outside of Egypt. Can I ask the supervisor to send the recommendation letter to your Embassy directly?


A. No. You need to receive the letter from your supervisor yourself first, then submit it to the embassy with the other required documents before the deadline.



Q.  Do I have to submit the certificate of language proficiency such as TOEFL / ILETS?


A. If you have a copy of the certificate, you are requested to submit it with the other required documents. However, no matter your language proficiency, you will need to take the language (English & Japanese) proficiency examination conducted by the embassy.



Q.  I will not be in Egypt at the time of submitting the application. Can I send it by mail?


A. Yes. Kindly make sure that your documents arrive at the embassy before the deadline.

     We will NOT accept any applications which arrive after the deadline.


9. Written Examination for all types of scholarship


Q. For Research Students, what kind of written examination do I have to take?


A. You will need to take both English and Japanese language examination if you pass the document screening. Those who have never studied Japanese language are also required to take the Japanese language examination.



Q. Where can I find samples of the written examination?


A.  For Research Students, you can find the samples of the past examination from the following link.

For Undergraduate and College of Technology students, the written emanations you’re required to take differs depending on your major. Kindly check the following chart to know which subjects you are required to take.  


For more information regarding the sample of written examination of all types of scholarship, click here to see more http://www.studyjapan.go.jp/en/toj/toj0302e-32.html#1




Research Students [ Examination subjects and Samples of Examination question ]

All fields of Study

English Language

Japanese Language









Undergraduate Students [Fields of Study & Examination Sample]

Fields of Study in Japan

Examination subjects and Samples of Examination question

Social Sciences and Humanities



English Language

Mathematics A

Japanese Language







Japanese language 




Business Administration

Natural Sciences




English Language
Mathematics B
Japanese Language



Electric and Electronic Studies


Electrical Engineering

Information Engineering

Mechanical Studies

Mechanical Engineering

Naval Architecture

Civil Engineering and Architecture

Civil Engineering


Environmental Engineering

Chemical Studies

Applied Chemistry

Chemical Engineering

Industrial Chemistry

Textile Engineering

Other fields

Metallurgical Engineering

Mining Engineering

Maritime Engineering



Agricultural studies


English Language
Mathematics B
Japanese Language

Agricultural Chemistry

Agricultural Engineering

Animal Science

Veterinary Medicine


Food Science


Hygienic studies























































College of Technology Students  [Fields of Study & Examination]

Fields of Study  in Japan

Examination subjects and Samples of Examination question

Materials Engineering

English Language



Japanese Language

Mechanical Engineering

English Language



Japanese Language

Electrical and Electronic Engineering

Information, Communication and Network Engineering


Civil Engineering

Maritime Engineering

Other Fields





















Copyright(C): 2012 Embassy of Japan in Egypt      | Legal Matters | About Accessibility | Privacy Policy |