Visa & Travel
Section - Embassy of Japan
[*IMPORTANT NOTICE] Sending visa documentation by mail. shipping companies, fax or e-mail is NOT acceptable.
Opening hours for Visa windows
○ 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., Sunday through Thursday
○ Closed on Fridays, Saturdays and Embassy holidays
The need of a visa to enter Japan
○ Egyptian nationals (holders of ordinary, service, special and diplomatic passport) are required to obtain a visa to enter Japan.
○ Citizens of the countries and regions not listed here are required to obtain a short stay visa to enter Japan.
○ Please note that non-Egyptians who do not have an Egyptian resident visa are not eligible to apply to the Embassy of Japan in Egypt for a visa (application must be made to the Japanese embassies/consulates in their home countries.)
○ Those who are planning to stay in Japan for paid activities or profit making activities, or stay for longer than 90 days are required to obtain a certificate of eligibility to apply to the Embassy for a long-term visa.
○ Information on visas for work or long-term stay
○ Criteria of visa issuance
Application and pick up
○ You should apply and pick up in person during the opening hours written above.
○ Appointments are not required.
○ The Embassy does NOT provide visa expediting service.
○ The time to process an application for visa depends on the applicant's circumstances.
○ In most cases, it takes three business days to a week (excluding the date of application) to issue a visa, if the documentation is in order.
Early application is strongly recommended
○ Validity of the Japanese visas is three months from the date of visa issuance.
○ Early application such as two months prior to the travel date is strongly recommended.
○ Visa fees are changed every fiscal year (The Japanese fiscal year starts on 1 April). Please click here to see the present fees.
○ Visa fees must be paid with cash (Egyptian Pound). Please bring the exact amount. Personal checks, credit cards, and debit cards are not accepted.
The following is general information of most typical applications at the Embassy of Japan in Egypt.
○ If you plan to visit Japan for 90 days or less for purposes not for paid activities or profit making operations.
○ If you are a recipent of scholarship provided by the Egyptian Government.
○ If an Egyptian scholarship student in Japan plans to invite his/her family to live together.
►Be aware of fraudulent website, social media, emails in an attempt to extract payments from visa applicants (July 5, 2017)
►Dear travelers to Japan: It is recommended to take out an overseas travel insurance.