Economic Cooperation ( Official Development Assistance, ODA )
April 13, 2011
Acceptance of new proposal for Grant Assistance for Grassroots Human Security Projects
The Embassy of Japan in Egypt accepts proposals from the Civil Society in Egypt for grassroots level socioeconomic-development projects which will be financed by the scheme of Grant Assistance for Grassroots Human Security Projects.
The Embassy of Japan in Egypt offers a financial assistance program for development projects, known as "Grant Assistance for Grassroots Human Security Projects (GAGP)” designed to meet the socially diverse needs of this country in the fields of Public Welfare, Primary Education, Primary Health Care, Water and Environment, Agriculture since 1994. The GAGP program is known for flexible and timely support to development projects at the grassroots level. Today, given the recent development in Egypt, the Government of Japan is to extend assistance to meet the emerging needs from citizens in Egypt with a view to economic recovery and social development of Egypt. In particular, proposals related to the most needing sectors such as Income Generation, Vocational Training, Basic Education and Support for the people crossing to Egypt from Libya by the outbreak of violence in Libya will be highly evaluated.
The qualifications below are required for consideration to be an eligible recipient of GAGP:
· To be a non-profit and non-governmental organization implementing development projects at the grassroots level in Egypt (NGO, Local public entity, Educational or Medical institution);
· Transparent account of Organization and capable of providing an auditing report (Balance Sheet: BS, and Profit & Loss: PL) issued by independent accountants for at least past three years;
· Capable of covering the administrative costs at least attributed to receiving the grant assistance, such as banking fees, transportation fees, running costs, and maintenance fees and some other administrative cost;
· Capable of administrating and communicating in English, etc.
As long as a development project is geared towards grassroots assistance with respect to Basic Human Needs and Human Security, it can be eligible for financing under the GAGP program. However, particular attentions are given to projects engaged in areas as follows:
1. The most needing sectors
Income Generation, Vocational Training, Basic Education, and Support for the people crossing to Egypt from Libya by the outbreak of violence in Libya.
2. Basic Human Needs Sectors
Public Welfare, Primary Health
Care, Water and Environment, Agriculture, etc.
The maximum amount per project is 10 million yen (approximately equivalent to US$ 110,000).
DURATION OF PROJECT
One year from the Grant Contract.
DEADLINE OF SUBMISSION
To be considered.
HOW TO APPLY
Please read and understand the below brochures and send an application to us through e-mail, post, or fax.
Embassy of Japan in Egypt
81 Corniche El Nil Street, Maadi, Cairo
Mr. Tomoaki MASUDA